Take advantage of peak apple season with this delicious holiday dessert! This easy, Riesling infused twist on a classic apple pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
YIELD: 8 servings
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 4 – 24 hours
- 2 lbs apples, peeled and diced
- 11 oz. plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 8 tbs. granulated sugar
- 5 oz. salted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla powder
- 1 medium egg
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 21 fl. oz. Hive & Honey Riesling
- 3 oz. cornstarch
- 10 inch round spring form pan
- Cinnamon garnish (optional)
- Pour yourself a glass of Hive & Honey Riesling (about 5 ounces), this will leave you with the perfect amount for the recipe!
- Prepare your apples by peeling and dicing them. Sprinkle with lemon juice to keep from browning.
- Cream the butter and 4 tablespoons of sugar, then add the egg and whisk. In a separate bowl mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Mix in the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in thirds and whisk until an almost dough like batter is formed.
- Knead the dough with your hands until you form a ball then let rest for 30 minutes in a cool place or refrigerator.
- In a separate bowl, mix a third of the remaining wine with the cornstarch and vanilla powder and stir until smooth.
- In a sauce pan on the stove, bring the rest of the wine and sugar (4 tbs.) to boil, stirring constantly. Once bubbling, add the wine and cornstarch mix and bring to boil again, stirring. Take the glaze off the stove to cool.
- You can now preheat oven and generously grease or butter your baking pan.
- Spread your rested dough in the bottom of your spring form pan, and prick surface several times with a fork.
- Spread diced apples on the dough and pour the Riesling glaze on top so the apples are fully covered. For an elegant finish, lay over lapping thinly cut apple slices on top, but don’t forget to glaze these too!
- Bake in oven at 350 F (or 300 F convection) for 1 to 1.5 hours, use a wooden skewer to make sure the dough is fully cooked.
- Leave the cake to cool for at least a couple hours before cutting, or overnight if you can wait that long.
- Top cake with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, dust with cinnamon, and serve with a chilled glass of Hive & Honey Riesling.